A $2 million inclusive playground and splash pad have officially opened in Hoover. The facility, located at 100 Ben Chapman Drive behind the Hoover RV Park, brings to fruition a project that has been in the works for several years.
“This playground may be in Hoover, but it’s a place for all Alabamians,” Hoover mayor Frank Brocato said ad a ribbon cutting and grand opening of the park on May 1. The project was led by the City of Hoover with assistance and support from the Jefferson County Commission, Shelby County Commission, the state legislature, and many other individuals and organizations.
The park is universally inclusive, designed with 2-5-year-old play structure areas and 5-12-year-old play structure areas. There are 43 elevated play events and 34 ground level play events, all designed using principles of inclusive design and play. There is a 1/8 mile fenced walking track within the park area, as well as a purposefully designed point of entry to the playground.
Other unique features include:
- The 17’ tall Carly’s Clubhouse, the park’s central feature.
- Active Play Features include the roller slide.
- Cozy Spot Features include a Rockin Robin.
- Motion Features include parallel play Double Zip Track and a Roxall which is unique to Alabama.
- Musical Play area includes musical flowers and a variety of musical chimes play events (with many having adaptive mallets).
- Sensory Features provide children the opportunity to activate technology devices on the playground.
- Unique Swing Features accommodate people of all ages and abilities.
- A variety of textures on the components and around the play areas.
- Bright colors on the play equipment and color pattern / material on the ground serve a purpose.
- Purposeful shade structures throughout the play environments.
- First of its kind Adult Changing Room for an outdoor playground / splash pad.
- Giving Garden with a sculpture displaying donors and contributors.
- Charging Stations are located thru out the playground area.
The park is open Tuesday-Sunday, 10am-7pm. The park is closed on Mondays for maintenance and cleaning.