We took our three kids to the Birmingham Zoo several days after Christmas. The weather was sunny and cool. Most of the animals were out in plain view laying in the warm sun. The kids took their cameras and got some great pictures of the animals.
During the holidays or anytime they are out of school are wonderful times to visit since boredom can set in. However, keep in mind that during the cold months 45 degrees and below is too cold for most animals, therefore they are put inside. The animals with indoor enclosures are always available for viewing and these places are always warm!
The Zoo has some exciting things planned as far as growth. By the spring/summer season of 2017, the newly renovated entrance and gift shop is anticipated to be complete. Right now, one of the main areas is the Trails of Africa. The next stage of renovation is an Asia exhibit, with the long-term goal to have an exhibit for every continent. There is most definitely a lot to look forward to with the upcoming zoo attractions. It would be a great time to be a member if you’re not already. Some benefits to an annual zoo membership are:
- It pays for itself in under three visits.
- 363 days of unlimited zoo visits.
- 10% off at the gift shop, Kudzoo Cafe and Safari Cafe.
- Discounts to Boo at the Zoo and free admission to Zoolight Safari.
- Receive discounts on classes, camps, events and birthday parties.
- Receive invitations to member-only events and more!
Make plans to visit The Birmingham Zoo this year, and your family will have a great time making lifetime memories.